Track Infrastructure management
Our solutions are in line with Asset Management’s goal-oriented management methodology, which uses an organisation’s existing resources to condition and improve its processes. This is why we pay so much attention to resources: What is the location of these resources ? Their condition? Their value? Managing information extracted from hundreds of kilometres of networks, from structurally complex facilities and requiring sophisticated logistics, is extremely difficult. The tools supporting it must ensure that the desired results can be obtained easily and quickly. We have decided to apply the experience we have gained in developing maintenance strategies for roads to trackways.
Warsaw Trams manages tramway public transport in the Polish capital. The organisation’s primary objective is to provide passengers with modern, fast and safe transport throughout the city. For several years, the concept of a system solution for managing the track infrastructure of more than 300 km of track had been in development within the company’s management. Technological readiness, which had finally reached the required level, allowed the vision to be realised and the company collaborated with HC to develop a remote system to manage the track infrastructure. Technological readiness, which had finally reached the required level, allowed the vision to be realised and the company collaborated with HC to develop a remote system to manage the track infrastructure.
Our task was to develop and implement an Infrastructure Management Support System with an Android-based application enabling mobile use of the system in the field. The system’s architecture had to take into account subsequent expansion with additional modules for managing other areas of the infrastructure. To enable the track infrastructure to be maintained in full serviceability, the system was to, among other things:
- map the track network together with the objects belonging to the track, enable them to be edited and updated,
- collect, process, archive and graphically visualise track data (technical characteristics),
manage system documents,
- enable the generation of condition assessment reports,
- process selected data for decision-making at different management levels,
- enable full digitalisation of the log of track events and logs of executed maintenance works,
- enable real-time notification of track incidents and their location.
The conceptual work was created in constant contact with the client with the involvement of our engineers, programmers and analysts, which allowed us to create a comprehensive and flexible solution. The core of the system is a desktop application and database containing all information about the network, its characteristics, components and technical status. INFRATRAM carries out tasks in three processes dedicated to record-keeping, track diagnostics and work scheduling, allowing the availability of data and functions to be determined according to the rights of individual users. The integrated mobile module for field employees enables access to up-to-date information on the condition of the infrastructure, including current incidents reported by Warsaw Trams services and information on the progress of scheduled maintenance and repairs.
- The launch of the system has enabled the full digitalisation of the track event log and paper maintenance reports, which, following the implementation of a mobile app for field staff, has significantly improved the circulation of data and information.
- Officers responsible for track safety and maintenance are notified immediately and have full information.
- The track network and all track record information have been entered together with the characteristics of the infrastructure facilities as a digital model. In terms of quantity, quality and location, the created resource represents a precise and complete set of track information at every point on the network.
- The automation of processes related to the operation of the tram network has significantly streamlined management and improved its efficiency.
- The assessment of the technical condition of the managed infrastructure facilities can show the highest objectivity, as it is based on numerical data, the correctness and consistency of which is taken care of by mechanisms used in the system, and the forecasting of changes in its condition during operation has improved.
- Management has gained the possibility of retrospective analyses of the condition, as well as a better critical assessment of the construction solutions used on the tracks, thanks to the possibility of comparing their rate of wear.
- INFRATRAM has also become an ideal tool for the control and verification of investments carried out on the trackbed.
- The application of the solution and the resulting possibilities in the form of decision bases for the Manager will allow, in the long run, an even better use of funds allocated for the maintenance of the tramway network and ultimately: an increase in safety and comfort during daily travel for passengers.